Recent Posts

Monday, October 12, 2009

Apple Pie [and a story, perhaps]

Alright, this post is going to be quick because I still have homework to do, so I'm assuming whoever reads this already has a basic pie crust recipe and knows what they're doing with said crust. And don't use premade crusts. Please.

[Hmm... I probably should've waited some more on my china posts (even though they were about 4 months ago) and posted this as my first actual recipe post. I mean, this recipe is part of my blog title and comes along with a sappy/sad/childish/oy vey Nick, type story]


Nick's Hopefully Makes You Feel Warm and Fuzzy Inside Apple Pie
aka. Nick's HMYFWFI Apple Pie
[compiled from years of research, multiple blog contributions, and hours spent pondering]

Ingredients:
  • basic crust for a two layer pie (maybe a post to come on this later, depends on if anyone needs guidance)
  • a bunch of apples, mixed varieties preferably (for better flavor. I say a bunch because some people like to pile their pies very high)
  • cinnamon to taste
  • 1/4tsp salt
  • 1tbsp+ of corn starch
  • 3/4c of granulated sugar
  • 1 lemon
  • butter and egg
1. Roll out both of your pie crusts, try to make them circular and matched up as possible. Fit the bottom crust to your pie pan, fold your top crust into quarters and wrap them up if you're going to refrigerate - they dry up otherwise and become much less pliable

2. Peel, core, and slice apples to your liking. I do 1/4in.

3. Toss well with lemon juice, salt, 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg if you have it (I don't). LET SIT FOR 30MIN - 3HOURS. (this idea's from Joy of Joy the Baker. Great blog). Then, take the liquid (I only let mine sit for 30minutes and it was already a ton of liquid), mix in cornstarch, remaining 1/4c of sugar, and gently simmer in a saucepan. Or if you're like me, accidentally make it turn into a boiling pot of brown goop in 30 seconds. (The cornstarch really works) Simmer until you feel like the liquid has thickened/ the cornstarch kicked in.

4. Drop 1/4in cubes of butter of apples after placing them in pie. Pour over post-simmered brown goop. Close up top crust, vent, and crimp. Wash top with beaten egg and liberally sprinkle over sugar. (I used butter instead of egg on this pie -> BAD IDEA. Not nearly as pretty. So go with the egg)

5. Bake for 10 minutes on lowest rack @ 450. Then, get scared that you're baking at too high a heat, lower to 300, and move to middle rack for 30 minutes. Finally, get impatient, put it under the broiler at 400 for 3 minutes, realize it browns really quickly, and you're done!


T'was good. I've made ... this is my 6th apple pie over the years. It comes with a story that kinda epitomizes my life. So needless to say, I've had plenty of experience with apple pies. If you ever need tips or pointers, just leave me a comment, fb me, email me, etc.

DSC01656 by you.

DSC01653 by you.

DSC01658 by you.

DSC01667 by you.

DSC01670 by you.

happy fall, and happy apple picking!
~nick.

[p.s- more pictures can be found at my flickr:
[p.p.s- just submitted to tastespotting.com, wish me luck!]

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say, this looks like a REAL blog.
Aha.

CC said...

Nice blog template. Boy, is that a lot of butter chunks. I bet Mom was appalled.

Unknown said...

OMG THE PIE LOOKS AMAZING!! :)
You're really good at photography and... baking? XD

Unknown said...

lol, nice pie Nick. I want some pie now. XP I fail at baking... well, actually, I never really made an honest attempt... hehe

uuh... this is sorta random... but who is this CC person? just wondering since I sign that way sometimes... Angela thought that was me

PS. This is Christine Chern... not Danny... ignore the info.... it's a loong story. XP

Nick said...

pwnage - yeah, that's what I'm shooting for

CC - mom was actually pretty quiet about it because she abandoned me thrice last weekend and got me a box of butter to sate my rage. Needless to say, it did the job. Also, pie is uber successful because mom can't stop eating it :D

Angela - I actually use a crappo sony point and click. But I've baked quite a few apple pies

Danny - You should try baking, it's a lot easier than it seems. Just gotta do some research beforehand. And CC is my sister.

Unknown said...

my name's Christine... XP... how does your sister have the initial's CC? your last name starts with H??... w/e... XP baking......

Post a Comment